Powered By Blogger

Monday 31 January 2011

Another bus, nos 53 to Trafford

Two other AfID volunteers (Heather and Ian) are living to the south of Kitwe. I’m working with Heather to encourage CHEP, which is the largest NGO in the area to sub-grant funds to her charity. Early success as Mr Mumba (Isaac), CHEP Programme Officer, has asked to look at a funding proposal from Heather’s organisation, Friends of Street Children (FOSC), which works at getting OVC’s (orphans and vulnerable children) off the streets begging, thieving and selling themselves. A very worthwhile cause.

I was invited by the lay preacher of FOSC, to attend Church, so I thought it would be interesting and different. Boy, was it. They all sing, clap and sway to the upbeat hymns. Not big style Hallelujah chorus, but I know I don’t have any rhythm, that’s for sure. However a colourful and inspiring hour.

Then taken for a drive around the townships adjoining the copper mines. Whilst price of copper is rocketing, the only people getting rich are the mine owners. No proper roads, running water or regular electricity. Exacerbated poverty by poor pay and conditions. Begs lots of questions, but I’m not going to get political.

Staple food is millett. Zambians crave it, talk passionately how wonderful it is. As for me I think it’s pretty dull and unappetising. They boil all the liquid out of the millett, then stir and mash for ages until it becomes a thick mass. They roll it into oval shaped balls, and serve it with a sauce, meat or veg. Sounds appealing?

Isaac invited Heather, Ian and myself up country to visit a HIV support group in Chililabombwe. We were introduced to a group of HIV positive people who have supported each other, who have grown to be a support network for hundreds of other HIV positive persons in the community. We held a Q & A session, where all aspects of their condition was openly discussed. They spoke about how HIV had affected their lives, their families, the benefits of CHEP mentoring, and enlighteningly how a person was no longer stigmatised in the community for being HIV positive.

Franco and Isaac with friends at Reigners In Life



















Isaac (CHEP) at Reigners In Life

Well that's it until I post my visit to Kafue National Park, and my photo of a male lion caught on film at night.

No comments:

Post a Comment