Powered By Blogger

Tuesday 4 January 2011

The adventure starts here

Well I've had all the inoculations, sorted out the visa, booked the flight, there's no way back now.

Like all volunteers I'm looking forward to visiting Zambia, getting to know its people and culture, and hoping to be able to help CHEP in some way.

It's taken a couple of conversations with Neil (founder of AfID), to appreciate that I am a small, yet invaluable, step in the on-going sustainability of the project. Whenever I've doubted that I can add something to make the assignment worthwhile, Neil has reinforced my drive and commitment in the run up to the assignment.

Let's go back to the beginning. When I read that there was an organisation that was looking to send accountancy trained people to the least fortunate areas of the world, I was instantly interested.

I've been highly fortunate to have visited many parts of Africa on holiday, and witnessed at first hand the poverty but immense resilience that exists on this continent. For over 25 years I've wanted to do something to help, but as I'm not big and strong, I didn't fancy digging irrigation channels in the midday sun. I always felt that I could do more, and use my specific skills and experiences for a more lasting benefit to the community. Then along comes AfID.

Since I left the profession many moons ago, I've spent many happy years working as a senior finance professional to all sizes of SME's. However on this project, it looks like I'm going to have to go back to my Frank Wood manuals and the basics of accounting, not a bad thing.

By the end of the week, I'll be in Kitwe, via Schipol and the infamous Jomo Kenyatta airport in Nairobi.

I've spoken to Isaac at the CHEP office, who informed me that he would meet me at Ndola airport (apparently it's an International airport, I'll let you know to what standard it is after I pass through). He asked if I was from London. I didn't like to tell him there is a world outside of the capital. When I told him where I lived, he immediately spoke those immortal words "Manchester United", and that most of his male colleagues at CHEP were keen fans. Well that's the weekends sorted for good company and beer.

Now it's time to pack the essentials, try to remember not to forget anything, and wait for the taxi to collect me. Till the next time, when I'll be reporting from sunny Zambia. Shalapo (Goodbye).

3 comments:

  1. Franco, this is great.

    Please write some more to update us on your progress and experiences!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Franco, nice blog. Hope your trip to Zambia goes well. Hoping to teach out there next year, looking for sponsors.

    ReplyDelete